Easter Suicides and Fatal Accidents in the Midst of a Blizzard (1915)

From the New York Tribune, April 5, 1915:


Deaths and Accidents in Wake of Blizzard Make Day a Tragic One.
Another, Despondent Over War, Stabs Self Through Heart-Man Killed in L.I. Tube.
     Misfortune stalked out of Saturday’s blizzard and Easter Sunday ended with a tale of suicide, accidental deaths and minor accidents that few days have equalled. Against this record the Tombs court set a mark that can be bettered in only one way, and that an absolutely clear docket. One case was all Magistrate Ten Eyck had to handle.

     In New York and vicinity there were five suicides and two women attempted to die, one man succumbed to exposure, one was drowned and another killed by a train in the East River tubes of the Pennsylvania Railroad. A man who tried to escape arrest by jumping from a window died from his injuries. A body that had been in the water a month was taken from the North River.
     Charles Scallen, once a well known florist, ended seven years of financial troubles yesterday by inhaling gas in his home at 300 West Fifty-first Street. After eight years on Broadway, adjoining the Hotel Knickerbocker, his business was wiped out by the panic of 1907. Domestic trouble followed and there was a divorce.
Gas Tube Around Neck.
     ‘I guess I’m all through,’ he said Saturday night to his landlord, Michael Byrne. ‘I’m all in, and there doesn’t seem to be much use struggling any longer.’
    Byrne found his tenant in bed yesterday with a gas tube in his mouth. The suicide had wound it twice about his neck, so that it would stay in position. Nine pawn tickets were found. Scallen was forty-five years old.
    Despondent because of the war, Charles Weber, of 1450 Minford Place, The Bronx, jabbed a penknife into his heart last night. He was found in the bathroom by his son, with whom he lived.
    During Saturday’s gale-driven snow the rope which Christian Reithman had knotted around his neck before he dropped from the limb of a tree in Forest Park, Queens, broke and the body fell into a drift. It was found yesterday by two boys.
    Reithman had been living apart from his wife, who occupies their old home at 144 Sumpter Street, Brooklyn. She told the police she put him out after he had squandered $6,000 that belonged to her and refused to work steadily. He was sixty years old.
    Jersey City reported two suicides. Walter Boland, of 10 Monticello Avenue, got up early yesterday morning, went to the cellar and hanged himself to a beam. He had worried over non-employment. Mrs. Laura Guizzer, of 556 Palisade Avenue, drank oxalic acid to end the sufferings of a long illness.
     The body of Charles Noitke, of 197 Henderson Street, Jersey City, was found in the Morris Canal basin. It was thought that he was accidentally drowned. From the North River of Pe(?)ry Street a floating body was picked up. It was that of a man about forty five years old, five feet ten inches in height and weighing about 175 pounds. The hair and mustache were brown.
Letter Signed ‘Kate Burns.’
    Exposure killed the man whose body was found in the cellar of a tenement house at 197 Second Avenue. A letter found in a pocket was addressed to George Boden, ‘Dear Husband,’ and was signed ‘Kate Burns, Ward C, City Hospital.’ There was no address on the envelope.
     Michael Leblock, of 243 West Twenty-ninth Street, a track walker employed by the Pennsylvania, was instantly killed in an East River tube. As a train bound for Manhattan approached he tried to reach one of the safety niches. He was too late, and the trucks of the first car swept him along the track.
     Salvatore Licausi, of 262 East Ninety-seventh Street, died in Bellevue, where he had been since Thursday morning, when a detective went to his home to arrest him on a charge of felonious assault. He jumped from a window on the second floor.
     Only the quick action of her husband saved Mrs. Lida Backoff when she tried to drink lysol in their home at 501 East 162d Street, The Bronx. Miss Frances Lewis, who gave the police a false address, is in the Harlem Hospital, having drunk iodine last night at Seventh Avenue and 137th Street.
     In the Eastern District Hospital, Brooklyn, is a man who was picked up unconscious in Grand Street, near Union Avenue. He was apparently the victim of knockout drops, and had not been revived late last night.
     Eugene N. Benedict, of 848 Madison Street, was badly hurt by a Ralph Avenue car at Broadway, Williamsburg.
     At Hubbel Street, Mount Kisco, one of the worst grade crossings in Westchester County, an Italian barely escaped with his life yesterday. His horse was killed. The driver, Petro Echlo, was thrown about fifty feet.
     Magistrate Ten Eyck’s one case was that of Oreste De Caro, of 4 Roosevelt Street. Mrs. Marie Bruno, of the same address, said he had forced his attentions on her. She’ll have no trouble for six months.”