|Hopkinsville Kentuckian, 16 Aug. 1904|
So my title is a little misleading….
The focus of this post is the burial of Isaac Mooring, a seven year old West Virginia native who passed away after “eating poisoned ice cream.” I wouldn’t be too alarmed about the use of the word, “poisoned” because it was likely that this was another case of death by tyrotoxicon poisoning.
Isaac was sealed in a glass casket along with alcohol to slow down or stop the normal process of decomposition. The casket was placed in a mausoleum so that his parents “can at any time behold the face of their son.”
People handle grief in different ways, so it’s not for anyone to judge the Moorings for wanting to be able to sit face-to-face with the corpse of their son “pickled” in his casket. I can say that I would not be comfortable gazing up my dead loved ones in a wet-specimen-like state, but that’s just me.
After a little digging through birth and death records, I discovered that Isaac’s parents were buried in Barboursville, not in a mausoleum. It’s likely that in between 1904 and 1935 (when Kenneth died) the couple had moved away from the town where Isaac was buried. It seems strange that after they went through so much trouble to preserve him that they weren’t interred in at least the same cemetery.
The article “Barbecued Meats” has absolutely nothing to do with Isaac Mooring’s burial but I found its placement in the newspaper underneath “A Pickled Corpse” somewhat amusing so I failed to crop it off.